Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Wed.9.16.15...It Was You?!...John 12:1-11

In great stories found in books or movies, study the key characters. For example, note the development of the hero who ends up fighting for what is right. Then you will especially want to pay attention to his devoted friends. Be ready for surprises with them. We often are shocked when a "good friend" ends up betraying the hero. That was well illustrated in Air Force One.


"It was you?" If you had never read today's passage before, you would be shocked to see what is revealed. The pure devotion of one friend is shown in stark contrast to the selfish scheming of another- one who would ultimately betray the hero. 

1.- Read John 12:1-11 now. 

As I read this story, questions came to my mind. Remember to ask questions as you read. Here's one that you won't find an answer to in the text itself- Why is this story included? It doesn't contain a miracle or a speech to help the lost believe, yet we know that is the theme of John's gospel. So why is this story included? In my Expositor's Bible Commentary, Dr. Merrill Tenney made this astute observation. He stated that chapter 12 of John presents a series of events which foreshadow that the end is near for Jesus. Jesus even acknowledges that Mary has prophetically anointed his body for burial. And then we are given another big surprise that also points that the end is near. The chief priests plot to bump off Lazarus as well! David Guzik's commentary has a great insight into this. 

1.- As you read through John 12:1-11, use Guzik's commentary to enrich your understanding of any or all of our passage. http://ift.tt/1hA9gYl
Then share some of the gold you discovered to enrich us. 

2.- Watching that clip from Air Force One with Harrison Ford has got me in the mood to watch more. So pick out a Greatest Minimovies clip at http://ift.tt/1NbCp6o  that you haven't seen yet. Share its title and briefly what it was about. Then be on the lookout to forward the link or pass out more cards to people who need new life in Christ.


Above I wrote, "The pure devotion of one friend is shown in stark contrast to the selfish scheming of another..." I want to be known as a man who was devoted to Christ and to you, not selfish or a quitter or two-faced. I am glad to be in a band of brothers, devoted to the Captain of our salvation and to one another. When your story is told, may it be about a man of devotion. How can I serve you better? Call me anytime.

Several of you shared good ideas to improve in GREAT ways yesterday. Oscar wrote- "The two areas that I need improvement in my spiritual growth are to become more consistent in prayer and reading my Bible. I will start by making a concrete plan by setting a time to read and a time to pray. No matter how I feel. Philippians 4:13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
I love the part where he said, "No matter how I feel." That is so manly! We are in a spiritual battle. Way to fight!

"No matter how you feel" please also go to the scoreboard now. I see some of you haven't done that yet this week. Danke. (German for "Thanks") "Faithfulness in a little thing is a great thing." Hudson Taylor

Hudson Taylor founded the China Inland Mission in the mid 1800s, when few people thought of going to China. He famously wrote, "China is not to be won for Christ by quiet, ease-loving men and women. The stamp of men and women we need is such as will put Jesus, China, [and] souls first and foremost in everything and at every time—even life itself must be secondary." Judas had none of that spirit. But you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment