Friday, September 18, 2015

Fri.9.18.15... A Man Worth Meeting...John 12:17-23

If you could meet any person presently living, who would you want to meet?  A lot of people would want to meet with the most influential people on the planet, such as the president or the pope. Others might want to meet a movie star or a music star. 2,000 years ago there were some Greeks who asked to meet Jesus. Good choice! Let's read about that today. It's a very short passage- John 12:20-23. (I kept it short for a reason you will see.) To get a running start, begin at 12:17.



Jesus said later in v.26, "My Father will honor the one who serves me." So I'd like you to meet a man who has greatly served the Lord behind the scenes. His name is...well I'll let him tell part of his story. "My name is Bruce Hurt. My father, Wilson, deserted my mother Ruth and her infant son (yours truly), before I was one year old. My father was an alcoholic, a gambler and a womanizer. Thus, I had my first experience with rejection by an earthly father. At 10 years old, my mother remarried and one result was my second rejection by an earthly father. The words that I most clearly remember my stepfather pronouncing on me were...'That boy ain't gonna amount to anything any good.'" 

Yet Bruce went on to become a medical doctor, and then got saved later in life, at age 52. But his marriage remained on the rocks because he had no one to disciple him. (That's not true with anyone who joins M3!) Then he was helped to grow in God's grace and the word, developing a great appetite for studying it. What a change God brought about in his life and marriage. And over the last 8 years he has devoted himself to building an incredible treasure trove of online commentaries, sermons, etc. on the Bible. His site is named preceptaustin.org since he lives in Austin, Texas and he helps people learn the scriptures precept upon precept. His site connects to a number of commentaries already at Studylight.org. (Your Dave Guzik commentaries are found there as well.) Today I want to introduce you to the mother load of commentaries that Dr. Bruce led me to. With a few clicks you will find the insights of many commentaries on just one verse. To buy all these commentaries would cost a fortune. How convenient to also have them all laid out one after the other, all on one verse. 

1.- I kept our reading passage short today (John 12:17-23) because I want you to become familiar with this new site. So click on http://ift.tt/1gwCvdS Then click on our chapter for today, 12. Next click on one of the verses from our reading John 12:19-23 and share some gold that you discovered from your digging.

2.- You now have one of the largest libraries of Bible commentaries in the world! 25 years ago, no pastor or Bible scholar would have so many commentaries on his bookshelf. So bookmark this now http://ift.tt/1iTZfGz and use it whenever you want to find more insights on a verse. Just say "Did it" when you bookmarked it. I promise that you will use this again and again.

It used to be that people would have to ask a pastor what a verse meant. Now you can be the answer man to people. So when someone asks you about a verse, just say, "Let me dig into that for you." Though I like answering your Bible questions, it's more important to train you to discover the answers for yourself. That doesn't mean that this site will answer all your questions. Your mind to still bigger than that site. But use this site before you ask others a question about a verse. Strive to discover things for yourself and for others. What a good student and spiritual leader you are becoming. And remember to keep helping people see Jesus. "Sir, we wish to see Jesus." Those words are etched into many pulpits to remind the preacher what people most desperately need him to show them- Jesus. 

3.- Contact a brother or two in your fire team and find out how he is doing. Find out who he is seeking to recruit and pray for him.

It's Friday! Thanks for flipping over to our scoreboard and getting all your points up. Enjoy the weekend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment