Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wed.10.7.15...What's Your Purpose in Life?...John 18:28-40

What's your purpose in life? I've interviewed many people regarding their purpose for living. Some have never considered this very important question. Others seem to offer guesses. Once while waiting for my wife to finish shopping in the mall, I decided to ask some passers-by what their purpose for living was. Armed with a borrowed clipboard in hand I received a variety of answers: "To make lots of money." "To get a good job." "To raise a family." "To party hearty." But my most memorable response was from the guy who was trucking rapidly toward me. As he neared I quickly blurted out, "Sir, just one question; what's your purpose in life?" To which he called out over his shoulder as he passed me, "To die!" I couldn't resist calling back to him, "You'll succeed!" (from the book, Lifelines.)

So what's your purpose in life? Hint: It's to be Christlike (MANLY). So perhaps it would be good to find out what Christ declared his purpose for living was. He reveals it to us in today's passage- "For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth" John 18:37 ESV. To bear witness to the truth is to testify or to tell others of transformation. Witnessing or testifying it just telling others what you've discovered about Jesus. This is what the Samaritan woman did, and with great results- "Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony" John 4:39.

Sadly, many Christians never testify or bear witness to the truth. They are aborting the mission and their purpose. I'm so glad you are on purpose and mission. You have learned how to share your testimony as the blind man did- "I once was blind, but now I see." You can share how blind you were before coming to Christ and then how he opened your eyes to the truth. You've also learned how to witness to the truth using the bridge illustration and one verse- Romans 6:23.

Also you've learned how to testify to the truth in such a simple but powerful way by giving out our Greatest Minimovies cards to lots of lost people. 

Testifying to the truth is key to conquering the lies of the enemy that keep people in bondage. As with Pilate, there are many people who ask, "What is truth?" You know the answer- it's Jesus. He declared, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6. As you testify to the truth, you are fighting to advance Christ's kingdom which is not of this world. You were not meant to fight alone. Aren't you glad you have a band of brothers battling with you? Our King is worthy of worshiping and warring for. He was manly; he did not cower when his life was on the line before Pilate. If he had caved, we would all be doomed. So how should we then live? Paul tells us, "In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ...To him be honor and might forever. Amen" 1 Tim.6:13ff.

God's command is that we "fight the good fight of the faith" 1 Tim.6:12. Again, you don't fight alone.

1. Read our passage now, John 18:28-40 and share a verse or phrase that grabbed your interest and some of your thoughts regarding it. As always, feel free to use your arsenal of commentaries at- 
http://ift.tt/1QVU3MY


2.- We have been talking about Christ's purpose and our purpose for being born again, to testify to the truth. So share an opportunity you took recently to testify to the truth. This could be via sharing your testimony, or drawing out the bridge illustration, or giving out a minimovies card, or inviting someone to church, etc. 


Thank you Jesus 
for taking our punishment. 
We were the rebels, 
as Barabbas was, 
deserving death, 
but you took our place. 

Wow! I am impressed with the T goals you set Monday. We will be fulfilling a great part of the purpose for which Christ left us here- to tell others of transformation. Here are some practical A,B,C steps for success. 

Ask God to help you see and seize opportunities. Desire to be used of God and believe he wants to use you. I start my day before I eat on bended knee asking God, among other things, to witness through me.  

Be prepared. I have cards in my car and in my wallet. Try this. Put one in your pocket to give away that day. 

Consider when you don't hit your goal, why you didn't hit your goal. And there will be times when you don't hit your goal. Consider and learn from it. Don't get discouraged and give up. J.C. Penney put it well, "When you fall down, get up."

Daily- The more you can make any new behavior a daily behavior, the more likely you will succeed with it. My goal is to give away cards daily. So yesterday evening the doorbell rang while we were eating dinner. It was a young guy wanting to sell me windows. I sell windows! I pointed to my company car behind him and we both laughed. I went back to eating and then realized I could have given him a card. Ugh! (See "C" above). So after dinner, I found his partner still in the neighborhood and gave him two cards, one for him and one for his buddy who came to my door. 

Announcements
Men, I loved your comments yesterday about why you have chosen to be on the M3 battleship. The ship's not perfect, but she is manned by some great men. We are not just an online Bible study fellowship. We are at war and are learning how to be devoted to our fellow warriors. We need to help new recruits coming in catch this vision of devotion to one another. You all make me proud to serve with you. 

We're moving into our new home Monday, October 12th. Our new address is- multiplyingmanlymen.com You've already got that bookmarked, right?

Want to see a good movie clip that follows the trial of Christ before Pilate word for word according to the gospel of John? You'll see it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment