Thursday, October 1, 2015

Th.10.1.15...The Holy Spirit and Prayer...John 16:5-33

How do you think? Notice I didn't ask, What do you think about? Nor did I ask, "How fast do you you think?" I'm asking, "How do you think?" Like most Westerners, we tend to process and present information linearly, like an assembly line. A+B=C. For example, Paul argues linearly, like a lawyer in the book of Romans- All have sinned. All deserve punishment. Christ took the punishment for all. All who repent and believe in Christ will be saved. He makes his point and then moves on to the next point. But Jesus and John present their thoughts in a non-linear or mosaic way. Jesus makes a point and then circles back to remind us and add more thoughts to it. A lot of the storytelling world, past and present, think this way. This nonlinear approach explains why Jesus comes back to the Holy Spirit in chapter 14, 15 and 16. He doesn't just give us everything he wants to say on the Holy Spirit in one passage, much as many of us might like such. (Your book on systematic theology by Burkhof does that, but not Jesus.) You have to pull all the threads of Jesus' teaching together. When you do, what does Jesus reveal about the Holy Spirit? Here's what he's already said in chapters 14 and 15-

I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. John 14:16-17

“All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. John 14:25-26 

“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.John 15:26-27

Now in today's reading, John 16:5-33, you will see that Jesus once again circles back to say more about the Holy Spirit. (By the way, 1 John contains a lot of this nonlinear thinking, as John circles back repeatedly to underscore certain points. No, John was not getting senile and repeating himself:) So read now John 16:5-33.

Here's a few things I noted in my Bible. Jesus speaks a lot about his going and the Holy Spirit's coming. I underlined those words. I also noticed a big emphasis on time. I underlined such words as- time, now, until now, then, when, in a little while, a time is coming, in that day. Time is of the essence in the passage.  Something big is about to happen, like the birth of a child. The disciples' grief would be turned to joy at Jesus' resurrection. (Likewise, Jesus' time was at hand. His agonizing pain would culminate in the birth of the church.) 

Prayer is another subject that Jesus has mentioned before and comes back to today. Notice what some might call the "over the top" promises Jesus makes regarding prayer in chapters 14-16- 

I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:13-14

 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
 15:7. 

Now Jesus comes back to prayer again in our passage today.  
Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. 16:23-24

"Whatever..." What bold promises of Jesus! I would have said, "Ask me anything, and I will seriously consider it." Yet three times Jesus used the word, "whatever." 
I will be the first to admit, I have not had that kind of experience in prayer, where whatever I asked for in Jesus' name, I received it. Even the apostle Paul did not get his earnest prayers answered in 2 Cor.12:8-9.  So Jesus certainly knows how to stir up your thinking! As you dig into the scriptures, you'll find important preconditions to answered prayers: 
Ask according to God's will. 1 John 5:14
Believe what God has promised, not simply what you wish for. Mt.21:22
Confess known sins, especially those against loved ones. 1 Pet.3:7
Dwell in his word, especially to love one another. John 15:7,12
Entreat with right motives, not to simply spend what you get on selfish pleasures. James 4:1-3
Forgive others. Mt.6:12-15
Grace to accept a "No" or no answer. God's grace is sufficient. 2 Cor.12:8-9

1.- Read John 16:5-33. What's one thing that grabbed your attention from the passage? Feel free to use your commentaries if you wish. Share some of your thoughts and enrich us. As always, write your MP3 down and be on the look out to share Scripture with others. 

2.- Watch the following sermon jam by Matt Chandler on prayer. Then talk to one of your wingmen and find out how he is doing on his SMARTER goal and pray for him. Ask! 


What motivates me to keep praying? One thing is that I can't stand to think that I might miss getting what God wanted me to have simply because I didn't keep asking. "You do not have, because you do not ask God" James 4:2. Be like a persistent child. Keep asking! 

Announcements
Are you going hiking with in the Indiana Dunes this Saturday? Please text me by tomorrow if you are planning on joining us. We are meeting at my house at 8:00 AM and will be back by around 1:00. It's gonna be a good time.

Phil has been seeing lots of opportunities and seizing them. He wrote- "I have been giving out lots of mini movie cards lately. I gave one to a lady in the DMV. I gave one to a co-worker. I gave one to the cashier at Fannie May, my wife's brother, and a couple friends within the last 2 weeks." Way to go Phil!


It's coming Monday, October 12th and it will really change M3 for the better...

No comments:

Post a Comment